Tuesday, August 26, 2014

3-hectares moringa farm can generate N5m annually’


Meet Oluwadara Adekunle, a 22-year-old graduate of engineering, who wants to generate N5m annually from her moringa farm. She is still doing her NYSC in Abuja. Daily Trust caught up with her recently where she was exhibiting her product.
As an engineer, what prompted you into agriculture?
Personally, I feel agriculture is a way of life. The fact that we eat we should be able to farm as well. And also looking at the production I am into at the moment which is moringa Oleifera, aside its nutritional benefits it is also an antioxidant plant. The seed when processed into oil can be used as bio-fuel. That is what actually caught my interest in the moringa plant.
Do you have a moringa farm?
Yes I do.
Where?
In Kaduna.
Is that where you process the product?
Yes.
How is the market?
Generally, the demand is high and people are getting to know about the product, although much awareness is still needed because people still come to ask questions like: what is it all about? So the awareness is increasing and it is making the market good.
How much do you make from this farm?
Although I have just started, I am trying to do an estimate of three hectares of moringa farm. It can generate above N5 million if well marketed, both the seeds and the leaves.
Averagely how much do you make from the farm?
I make about N15, 000 a month.
Do you also intend to go into other crops?
I could expand to cassava and the likes. But for now, it’s moringa and all the chain of processing.
Do you supply your products to pharmaceutical stores?
Yes I do. I have met some of them and I told them about what I do. I also met some pharmaceutical stores where my moringa products are being sold at the moment.
What sort of assistance would you want from government?
I would like government to create the awareness because moringa is very nutritious and should be used in school feeding programme to tackle malnutrition. That will increase the usage and expand the market.[SOURCE: DAILY TRUST]

No comments:

Post a Comment